Oswald Oberhuber was born in Merano / South Tyrol in 1931. Oberhuber first learned how to sculpture between 1945 to 1949 at the Federal Trade School Innsbruck. Subsequently, Oberhuber was a student of Fritz Wotruba at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna and Willi Baumeister at the Academy in Stuttgart. In 1972 Oberhuber was the Austrian representative at the Venice Biennale. In the years 1964 and 1965 he worked as an artistic advisor to the gallery nächst St. Stephan. He took this position over from Otto Mauer in 1973 and lead the gallary until 1978. He took part in Documenta 6 in 1977 and Documenta 7 in 1982. Oswald Oberhuber loves to override laws and regulations, so he can leave constricting artistic views behind. As a co-founder of informal painting and sculptureing, he formulated his theory of incessant change in the mid-1950s and after that he rejected any style formation. His primary goal is the permanent change of art. Leaving classic traditions and formulations behind, he wants to give his work another dimension. The repertoire of the materials used refers to his willingness to experiment and his tireless work, as well as the associated openness to new things. Oswald Oberhuber is one of the most versatile personalities of the Austrian cultural landscape after 1945. In addition to his activities as an artist, gallery owner, exhibition initiator and author of numerous publications, he was also a rector at the University of Applied Arts in Vienna for many years, and was instrumental in shaping and changing the Austrian art landscape.